JUNIOR CERT FRENCH PAPER 2018
Translation exercises are an excellent way of getting students to really understand the intricacies of a language. I use past exam papers and give the students some key vocabulary, and then ask them to translate past reading comprehensions. They then use the Key grammatical constructions from the text to help them with their writing.
Try this one from the 2018 JC paper. It is about going on school trips, and the general theme of school and holidays is important in both the old and new Junior cycle.
JUNIOR CERT PAPER 2018 Q. 5
POUR OU CONTRE LES VOYAGES SCOLAIRES?
- Noah, 13 ans : Moi, je suis pour les voyages scolaires. En voyage scolaire on peut apprendre de nouvelles choses, des langues étrangères par exemple ou découvrir des monuments ou des villes. L’année dernière je suis allé en Allemagne avec mes copains de classe. J’ai beaucoup aimé notre séjour.
- Catherine, 15 ans : Je suis contre les voyages scolaires. Je trouve que cela coûte cher et c’est difficile pour les élèves qui sont timides. Les voyages scolaires ne sont pas pour tout le monde.
- Ethan, 16 ans : Avant de partir en voyage scolaire je me sens très motivé en cours. Mon école fait des échanges avec d’autres écoles. Je pense que ces voyages sont importants si on veut apprendre une langue étrangère et visiter un peu le pays.
- Adèle, 14 ans : Je suis pour les voyages à l’étranger mais à mon avis il faut que les voyages durent plus longtemps si on veut faire des progrès en langue. Dans mon collège, on fait plein de voyages linguistiques et c’est très marrant.
We have more of these on our website, with Teachers & Students all over Ireland using French Notes. Please feel free to browse our sample Junior Cert resources, and see how French Notes can help you.
Wide variety of revision notes available to members of Teacher or Junior Cert Plans. Please click on these links for more information on our 3 different plans, which will give you 365 days peace of mind, whatever stage you are at.
As a member of the Leaving Cert or Teacher Plan, you would have immediate access to:
- Over 500 sample topic sentences on a wide-range of topics
- Approximately 60 sample opinion pieces.
- Diary Entries
- Narrative writing technique & Phrases
- Grammar section
- Grammar exercises
- Reading comprehensions
- Verb drills
- Study guides
- Comprehensive oral section with videos
- Expressions & key constructions
- Letters and much more…
To see some of our sample revision notes, please follow these links:
If you were to sign up for our one year Junior Cert plan, you would have access to:
- Audio section
- Oral questions & Role-plays
- Powerpoint presentations
- Comprehensive vocabulary lists
- Verb drills
- Grammar section
- Reading Section
- Written section with postcards, notes & letters
Please see some of our sample Junior Cert revision notes here
Members of the Teacher Plan have automatic access to both Leaving Cert & Junior Cert revision notes. Also we are constantly adding new files to the site, so whatever is put up for the duration of your membership, you have access to it. While we do put up some of our material on social media, it is only a fraction of what you will find on our site.
KEY GRAMMATICAL CONSTRUCTIONS
Être pour ou contre quelque chose – To be for or against something
On peut – We can (followed by a verb in the infinitive)
Je suis allé(e) – I went
En Allemagne – To Germany (when you want to say “to” a country that ends in an “e” use the word “en”.
Je trouve que – I find that
Avant de + verb in the infinitive – Before doing something
À mon avis – In my opinion
Il faut que + subjunctive – It is necessary that (The subjunctive is a mood in French, and is not really taught until 5th or 6th year)
|Les voyages scolaires||School trips|
|Cela||This or that|
|Tout le monde||Everyone|
|En cours||In class|
|Plein de||A lot of|
Remember that for Leaving Cert students, we have a lot of interesting articles on our blog with tips and key vocabulary on a variety of subjects.
FOR OR AGAINST SCHOOL TRIPS?
- Noah, 13 years old: Me, I am in favour of school trips. During a school trip, we can learn new things, foreign languages for example or discover monuments or towns. Last year, I went to Germany with my school friends. I really liked our trip.
- Catherine, 15 years old : I am against school trips. I find that they cost a lot and it is difficult for students who are shy. School trips are not for everyone.
- Ethan, 16 years old : Before going on a school trip, I feel very motivated in class. My school does exchanges with other schools. I think that these trips are important if you want to learn a foreign language or visit the country a bit.
- Adèle, 14 years old : I am in favour of trips abroad, but in my opinion, the trips should be longer if we want to make progress with a language. In my school, we do a lot of language trips and it is great fun.
We have a collection of sample written pieces available for individual purchase on our website. If you buy 3 or more, you get an automatic discount of 20%